Permits, Licenses & Forms

 Questions about permits, call (608)489-2521 or email: 

NEW! The City of Hillsboro is beginning the process of online permitting. For a list of permits you can pursue online, click the link here!


 Short Term Rental Information

Short term rentals are becoming incredibly popular. With that, the City of Hillsboro passed Ordinance #6-22 to help facilitate the influx of short term rental demand. This ordinance is mostly reflective of Wis. Stat. §97605, but was adopted on the municipal side to make residents aware of requirements. 

Below are certain items you will be required to do:

  • Obtain a State of Wisconsin tourist rooming house license
  • Have a Pre-Inspection completed
  • Obtain a State of Wisconsin Department of Revenue Sellers Permit
  • File Room Tax information with all required parties
  • Obtain insurance for the property


In the attached document, you will find a helpful checklist and items to be aware about prior to opening a short term rental. It is important for you to note that operating a short term rental without municipal or state license can result in fines.


For questions, please contact the Zoning Administrator at (608)489-2521.